Sunday, February 25, 2007

West Bank Story wins Academy Award for 'Short Film (Live Action)

I'm currently sitting in my living room working on a blog post about Veretski Pass and watching the Academy Awards with my wife. All of a sudden, she started whooping and laughing. I looked up and saw a film clip with what looked like chassids and Arab frycooks doing a line dance. Huh?

It was "West Bank Story" winning the Oscar for Short Film Live Action. According to the Internet Movie Database, it's "A musical comedy set in the fast-paced, fast-food world of competing falafel stands on the West Bank... David, an Israeli soldier, falls in love with the beautiful Palestinian cashier, Fatima, despite the animosity between their families' dueling restaurants. Can the couple's love withstand a 2000 year old conflict and their families' desire to control the future of the chic pea in the Middle East?"

The film's official website was having fits when I (and probably a zillion other people) tried to find an online trailer. Fortunately, YouTube came through:



There's a rumur that you can get the whole film from iTunes for 1.99, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet.

Ok. It's confirmed. iTunes has West Bank Story for $1.99. I checked it myself and also got a confirm from John. Thanks John.

2 comments:

John said...

The rumors are true. You can download all the nominated shorts for $1.99 off of ITunes.

Jack said...

Thanks John. I'll buy a copy this afternoon.