Sunday, May 13, 2007

Acoustic Niggun (and other music videos for Lag Ba'Omer)

I was catching up on some of my favorite j-music blogs and ran across a bunch of music videos posted on "Life of Rubin" for Lag Ba'Omer. They're all worth watching, but I particularly enjoyed this one:

Niggun - Acoustic style
A new band aiming to play niggunim (Jewish songs) in a way that captures the energy and beauty of the songs but keeps the overall sound as "raw" and "stripped-down."


I'm not sure who this "new band" is, hopefully I'll be able to track them down. There are a couple of other videos on YouTube from the same video session, but no more clues to who/where these folks are.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same niggun that Dave Grisman and Andy Stateman recorded on "Songs of Our Fathers" (another heavy rotation disc for me). You can see Ari Davidow's review of SoOF at KlezmerShack.

No comments: