Thursday, September 20, 2007

Mail Bag: Chassidic Metal, Punk Unplugged, Aires de Sefarad, and some CD Reviews

I'm officially overwhelmed with all the great Jewish music out there. I'm going to start doing a periodic MailBag post to help me keep up. (Idea borrowed from BlogInDm). It's important for me to say, putting you in the MailBag post doesn't mean I'm less interested in your work than a group that gets a full post. It just means this is the fastest way to get your work posted.

-----
Teihu - Chassidic Metal Band

I saw your blog about The 8th Day, and thought you might want to
check out Teihu.

See teihu.com and myspace.com/teihu

Teihu has won first place in the Battle of the Bands (first round) in
the Pittsburgh area, and will be competing in the Finals next Sunday.

(I passed this email on to Keith at Metal Jew and he wrote a good post about Teihu. Check it out.)

The Shondes - A Benefit for Birthright Unplugged*
Saturday, September 29th, Doors at 7:00! Show promptly at 8:00!
$10 suggested or pay-what-you-can. Delectable rock 'n roll, beer, pizza and dancing - and all to support the work of an important organization!

FEATURING Mystery Family (myspace.com/mysteryfamilymusic), The Shondes(www.shondes.com), Looker (www.lookernyc.com), +DJ and dancing!

Free beer with any pizza order from 7:00 - 8:00 - come early!
-----
*Birthright Unplugged is an education and movement-building project that challenges the concept of a Jewish birthright to a land that Palestinian people were displaced from, and supports Palestinian people's rights to this land. For more information, visit www.birthrightunplugged.org

For more show information visit www.theluckycat.com or www.shondes.com. New interviews with The Shondes now out in Curve, Punk Planet and Venuszine.com

(Just to be clear: I dig the Shondes music, and posted about them back in June. I welcome bands with strong political views and will post about them without comment on whether I personally agree with those views. This isn't apathetic objectivism. I just like seeing applecarts, even my own, get overturned. I learn more that way.)

CD-Aires de Sefarad

Surfed into your website and remembered you are interested in recordings of Jewish music but,i couldn't remember if i made you aware of Albany Records 2007 Grammy Entry "Ares de Sefarad". It is a cycle of 46 works written by Jorge Liderman for my daughter and son in law-Duo46 and based on 500 year old Sephardic music.
If not,you can hear the music by visiting website -Duo46 www.duo46.com

Recent CD Reviews

Hi Jack, I've posted two CD reviews on my Blog that may be of interest. Thanks. http://blog.myspace.com/klezmerpodcast

No comments: