Friday, December 26, 2008

Hanukkah Day 5: The Leevee's Latke Clan & How Do You Spell Channukkahh

While I love all of the classic Hanukkah songs, I'm always eager to hear something new. My favorite album of new Hanukkah songs is The Leevee's Hanukkah Rocks. It's actually two years old at this point but, since the Maccabean revolt actually happened over two thousands of years ago and Adam Sandler's "Hanukkah Song" hit Saturday Night Live in 1995, I still feel pretty timely. The Leevees are Adam Gardner, of the wonderful indie-acoustic band Guster and Dave Schneider of the all-hockey songs (not kidding) band The Zambonis. Gardner and Schneider put out an album of infectious, well crafted, pop songs that tackle such deep topics as the spelling of Hanukkah, visiting weird uncles, and the relative merits of appled sauce and sour cream. No deep theology here, but a sure sense of the Jewish experience in America at the turn of our millenium.

First up, The Leevee's Latke Clan which was featured on both the TV Show Grays Anatomy and my recent Hanukkah podcast. (Yes, I know Grays Anatomy is much cooler than my podcast but I try). Seriously, I see this one being a family singalong favorite. If your family is as warped as mine.

Latke Clan


Next up, The Leevee's ponder one of the deepest questions of the holiday season.

How Do You Spell Channukkahh


For more info on the Leevees or to pickup their album hit their website or their myspace page.

Hat tip to YouTube user armwritingdotcom for posting Latke Clan video.

No comments: